I realize I’m just a province over, but damn, this world is small. And weird. Mostly weird.
1. While at the Alexander Keith’s birthday bash last week, I caught the eye of a girl who looked extremely familiar to me. The name “Vanessa” clicked in my head. A few moments later she came up to me and said, “You’re from Bay d’Espoir, right?” She’s a friend of a high school friend, who happened to be showing up later, and yes her name is Vanessa. I’m always astounded by my abilities to draw such details when shitfaced.
There were 19 people in my graduating class. Apparently none of us strayed far.
2. That same night, I ran into one of my best friend’s ex-roommates. We were never really friends, but being at a random party in a strange city instantly made us bond. Sorta. (We were both drunk, and she didn’t remember it happened until I tagged her on Facebook, but still.)
3. While ordering poutine at Pizza Corner after a night of bar hopping, Cailin stood talking to a drunken acquaintance who stopped in his tracks, looked at me through his googly-eyes, stole a fry from my container, kissed me on the cheek, and fled the scene.
4. While waiting for a cab outside a hotel, a pizza delivery guy pulled up to deliver a free pizza to the front-desk worker. For some reason, she declined without so much as a “thank-you.” The pizza guy shrugged, handed me the box of pizza, and went on his merry way.
5. At a bar named Boomer’s the other night, I was in the bathroom when a girl approached me and said, “This might sound weird, but is your name Candice?” Again, my uncanny shitfaced ability to pull details from thin air caused me to only blink at her once before answering, “Amanda?” (I shit you not, twice today I forgot to switch over laundry loads until I finally wrapped a hair elastic around my fingers to remind myself, and then promptly forgot anyway.) Turns out she’s a girl I met while visiting one of my best friends in Port Saunders, someone whom I’ve only talked to once or twice, but we agreed to hang out anyway.