The F-Bomb gets a lot of negative attention lately from editors and writers. Someone once told me that those who use “fuck” do not have the writing talent to express how they really feel.

I, on the other hand, feel like a good “fuck” every now and then really livens up a piece of writing. Just consider how dynamic the word is — it can be applied to a variety of sexual acts, serve as an angry oath, or even be used in a moment of extreme excitement (i.e. “That slip ‘n slide is fuckin’ rad!”).

You can even personify the f-word with variations of “lazy-fuck,” “smart-fuck,” “dumb-fuck,” and more.

Then there are all the spin-off words: head-fuck, mind-fuck, ear-fuck, oh my! The list goes on.

So please, fellow writers, consider the word with a little more appreciation. It’s something that has evolved over the years into a sort of omnipotent presence, and while I’ll never swear around children, dogs or the elderly, I’ll fucking use the word in my writing whenever I please. Thank you.

[Photo: Sean Loyless]

This post is tagged ,

1. Ivy says:

Candice, you’re fucking *awesome.*

I love “fuck” – to me, it gets the point across fabulously.

There’s a case against ‘fuck’? Haha. Maybe when it’s used one too many times.. but other than that, it’s definitely one of the most useful and versatile words around.

4. AdventureRob says:

A lot of books and comedy acts are sold using that word. You have to be a bit clever with it though, using is constantly (or any other word/phrase) will get tiring and unimaginative.

5. I also feel a good fuck now and then livens me up… Oh wait, you meant writing…..

6. I love it. Until my 4 year old nephew says it. Then I get sad.

That was fucking awesome.

when I was in high school, my stepmum tried to convince my dad that I swore a lot. More than she did. My dad didn’t believe her. When I told my best friend this story she said “Well, he probably just doesn’t notice anymore… when you say “fuck” it isn’t even a swear word anymore, you say it so much I’m just kind of used to it. It’s just part of your charm.” ;P

Every time I go somewhere new I try to fix this… though, to be honest, now I really just try to not say it in front of clients ;P

I couldn’t fucking survive without that fucking word. This comment is a bit too fucking predictable. I’m very fucking sorry about that!

10. carissa says:

I think people who don’t fucking use it, are just afraid that they can’t pull it off, because some people just can’t. My sister can’t. My grandmother probably could, but she chooses not to.

I however would just sound ingenuine if I cut it out of my vocabularly, both spoken and written. There was an instance in today’s post where I substituted fucking for effin, and I still don’t feel right about it.

11. PorkStar says:

I couldn’t agree more. I do the same in my blog. It’s the perfect word to wake anyone up when you feel a post is being too boring to read.

Hilarious!

i’m so happy you all fucking get it!

13. You need to visit, Dani, at the “Mom’s Crazy Life” blog (momscrazylife.com). She has a “Fuck You Friday” contest where she gives awards for creative comments using the “F-Bomb.”

And my wife likes to use the term “Game Fucking On” when she gets upset at work. Enough said.